Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Artist Research Presentation



I like Intersections of Art, Technology, Science & Culture and photography and Activism.



Biggest Interest. Vincent Debanne

Battleships for the rich.
http://we-make-money-not-art.com/archives/2014/09/battleship.php#.VA4zA_ldU2U

Link to his website.
http://vincentdebanne.fr/

Vincent Debanne was born in 1972 Paris, France. He studied in National School of Photography, Arles, France. He is working as a photographer in Paris, France.





The moment when I saw his art, it caught my eyes with the naval battle theme. I have always been interested in these kind of battlefield photography, but what keeps me stay with Vincent's photography is what makes the difference, the content in his photography. He is not showing us a actual naval battle sense, but a photoshop work of some normal life rich people's ships. I cannot believe it when I see him just adding some smoke effect and maybe changed the color scheme with more grey color that he creates a illustration of battlefield.The smoke of gun powder. I like grey, I think its a ultimate color not only in the color wheel, but also in our life. We all live in a grey zone, there is no the ultimate right or wrong, a grey zone, middle ground is what it is.

It really funny thinking its a colored battle photo then realize it is a nicely done photoshop art piece, the emotional irritate brings viewers a good mood and laughing.


Especially this one down below. The whole photo are covered with some thin grey smoke, so I got my eyes caught by the brightest point which is the cannon fire. So my brain immediately tells me this is a sense about battle. But I found out something tricky about this photo that the ships in this photo does not look like battleships, then the funny part comes up. I laugh out loud the moment I realize this photo is been nicely photoshoped so it looks like a battle sense attracting my attention and then tells us a totally opposite story about it. 
  

  In the meanwhile, many of his projects are photography with photoshop refine to show an idea or theme better. Many photo of his, i can see  if he does not use photoshop, the complex idea would have never be presented. And the weird looking photoshop effect does not make his photo looks poor craft, instead it gives us some feel that his art piece is a big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment